Each year the Monterey Bay Aquarium attracts thousands of visitors from all over the world. One of the more popular exhibits in recent years has been the jellyfish exhibit known as The Jellies Experience. Here you will witness the magical floating world of a variety of jellyfish from the Pacific Ocean and other waters around the world.
The jellyfish on display include the Blubber Jelly, Moon Jelly, Upside Down Jelly, Flower Hat Jellies, and Cross Jellies. There are other jellies at the Monterey Bay Aquarium and many are “harvested” in the jelly lab onsite. There is a viewing area to take a peek into the lab and tours that allow you to get up close and personal with jelly harvest behind the scenes.
Jellyfish Fun Facts:
- Jellyfish are more than 95% water.
- Jellyfish don’t have any bones.
- Jellyfish do not have brains or blood.
- Jellyfish tentacles have thousands of toxin filled beads.
- There are more than 1500 species of jellies worldwide.
- The moon jelly is probably one of the most well known jellies.
- Most jellies live in salt water but there are a few fresh water jellies too.
- The Box Jelly is listed as one of the deadliest in the world. The sting is extremely painful and can cause a heart attack in humans.
The Monterey Bay Aquarium Jellies Experience is just one of the world-class exhibits to enjoy. If you plan to visit the Monterey Bay, contact the Monterey Bay Park Hotel for value-added savings on packages to the Monterey Bay Aquarium.
Written by Laura Wrede a Monterey Bay freelance writer and photographer.